Wednesday, July 13, 2011

1950 Bowman = 1950 Art

While most people in the hobby are breaking boxes of 2011 Allen & Ginter, I throw a bunch of my cards in some old blaster and hobby boxes and pull my own great cards. I must pace myself so I'm holding steady with one single card. It's a 1950 Bowman and it's one of my favorite baseball card sets ever. Of course, I have nothing close to a set. More like a handful - I have five 1950 Bowman cards. It's a start.

The scanner made this card look very off-centered but it is actually quite nice on my end. Just sayin'...

A pitcher, Borowy went 15-4 his rookie year in 1942. In '43 he went 14-9 and then 17-12 in '44. His best season was in 1945 where he went 21-7. 67-32 after his first four seasons. Crazy. He ended his career with a 108-82 record. A lot of those losses added up after having shoulder problems and finger blisters. He is also the last Cubs pitcher to win a game in the World Series.


These cards are stunning. The artwork is amazing and the detail is incredible. I really like the clean front doing away with a name or sig. There are some great "shots" on these cards and I hope to acquire more. My favorites are definitely of the catchers. More to come, but until then, on with your Allen & Ginter madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment